Grenville House is rich in history, dating back to the 19th century. It belonged to a prominent Lieutenant Colonel, Algernon Carteret Thynne, who was a war hero in the first world war and to this day has a prominent monument in the middle of the village square at Kilkhampton, Bude, Cornwall.
It is said that Grenville House was built in about 1890 by Lady Thynne for the Lt-Col as a "games room" for entertaining gentlemen officers.
WHO WAS LT-COL CARTERET THYNNE
LT-COL. ALGERNON CARTERET THYNNE was born 9th April 1868, second son of Francis John Thynne, J.P. of Haynes Park, Bedfordshire, and of 67 Eaton Place, London and Edith Marcia Caroline Sheridan, and grandson of the Reverend Lord John Thynne, DD., Canon and Sub-Dean of Westminster Abbey, born 1798.
Reverend Lord John Thynne's father was his Hon. Lord Thomas Thynne, 2nd Marquess of Bath, born 1765.
Lt-Col Thynne was educated at Charterhouse, and subsequently became Captain in the Bedfordshire Regiment (3rd Battalion). He went out from Bath, as a Lieutenant, in the North Somerset Yeomanry, to serve in South Africa, and served throughout the campaign, first in that capacity, and afterwards as a Captain in the 7th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry.
Lt.-Col. Algernon Carteret Thynne fought in the Boer War between 1900 and 1902. He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the North Somerset Yeomanry Cavalry.2 He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the 3rd Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment. He was decorated with the award of Companion, Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.). He gained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the service of the Royal North Devon Hussars. He fought in the First World War.
He took part in operations in the Orange Free State, February to May 1902, including operations at Vet River (5 and 6 May) and Zand River; operations in the Transvaal, May and June 1900, including actions near Johannesburg, Pretoria and Diamond Hill (11 and 12 June); operations in the Transvaal 30 November 1900 to 31 May 1902. He was mentioned in Despatches [London Gazette, 10 September 1901, and 29 July 1902]; received the Queen's Medal with four clasps; the King's Medal with two clasps, and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 31 October 1902]:
"Algernon Carteret Thynne, Captain, 7th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa". He became Honorary Captain in the Army in August 1902, and was transferred in 1903 to the Royal North Devon Hussars. He served in the European War, 1914-17, in Gallipoli and Egypt, also in Palestine, as Lieutenant Colonel in command of his regiment, until he fell mortally wounded at the Battle of Sheria 6 November 1917. Buried Beersheba War Cemetery, Israel.
Colonel Thynne had succeeded to the Grenville Estate, Cornwall, on the death of his father in 1910. He was an Alderman of Cornwall County Council, and a Magistrate for Cornwall, and at the outbreak of war was Master of the Tetcott Hounds. A Memorial Service for him and those who fell with him in Palestine was held in St George's, Hanover Square, London (where Prebendary Thicknesse officiated); also in Stratton Church, Cornwall.
Kilkhampton, a village with a population of about 900 people, in Cornwall, stands 2¾ miles W of the river Tamar at the boundary with Devon, 3½ E of the coast near Lower Sharpnose Point, and 10 miles from Holsworthy station on the L. & S.W.E.; was once a market-town, and has fairs on the Thursday before Ascension Day, first Thursday in July, and 26 August.
Kilkhampton has a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Stratton.
Kilkhampton stands 600 feet above the sea, three miles south of Morwenstow. It is a large attractive village in the heart of "Grenville country"- Sir Richard (cousin of Walter Raleigh and friend of Sir Francis Drake) was born here in the 16th Century and Sir Bevil in the 17th Century. Nearby Stowe Barton was the house of the Grenville family. It was built on the site of Stowe House, once one of the most magnificent homes in England and described by Charles Kingsley in "Westward Ho!". The church, standing in the village street by a quaint courtyard of cottages, speaks eloquently of heraldry, and it is obvious that rich men have lavished their wealth upon it. It contains some of the finest work in Cornwall, from its Norman south doorway to its large collection of bench-ends and fine window tracery of the 15th and 16th centuries.
Penstowe Manor is a country club and hotel at Kilkhampton, and only dates back to around the beginning of the 19th century. It was built by Arthur Christopher THYNNE, related to the Grenville family, and was said to contain fitments from Stowe, but it appears that this is not true.
The manor belonged, from the Conquest till 1711, to the Granvilles, who became Earls of Bath, went then to the last Earl's aunt, the wife of George, afterwards Lord Carteret, and passed through her to Lord John Thynne. A magnificent mansion, called Stowe, was built on the site of a previous mansion in 1680 by one of the Granvilles, was demolished in 1720, and is now represented by only a moated site. A picturesque ravine, called Combe Valley, commences immediately N of the village, goes thence to the sea, and terminates there between lofty cliffs. The adjacent parts of the coast are grandly picturesque. The reservoir of the Bude Canal is on the border.
St. Jame's Church in the village square is one of the grandest specimens of Perpendicular architecture in Cornwall - a true Cornish church, with three aisles of equal length, very lofty, and enriched with beautiful carving both in roof and on bench ends. Nearly all the windows are filled with stained glass. The south doorway is the only remnant of the ancient Norman church built in the 12th century. The date of the present church is 1567. It was renovated and partly rebuilt by the Rev. Lord John Thynne in 1860. There is a village reading-room.
There is a monument of Lt-Col Carteret-Thynne on horseback in a prominent position in the church.